Mission 100% Whole Wheat

I'm on a mission to switch our family over to 100% whole wheat. I started making bread about one year ago. I found a really good honey whole wheat bread recipe. I've used it a lot over the last year. But the name is deceiving, it isn't 100% whole wheat. Actually, it isn't even 1/2 whole wheat. The majority of it is white flour. I knew that white flour wasn't good for us. But it wasn't until recently, that I discovered how bad it is. So, I was on a mission to find some good 100% whole wheat recipes. I searched on Pinterest and found some. But as I was baking, I came up with some of my own. The best part is that my entire family loves the bread!



Here they are...


100% Whole Wheat Pita Bread


(Great for sandwiches, extremely thin which equals less carbs)

1 cup milk
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vinegar
3 cups whole wheat
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

If using a bread machine, add all ingredients in order, except for yeast. Make an indention in the flour and add yeast to it. Select dough setting.

If not using bread machine, combine salt, yeast and one cup of flour. Warm 1st four ingredients in a saucepan on stove. Do not boil. Add warm liquids to dry ingredients. Mix until well combined. Stir in remaining two cups of flour. Transfer to floured surface. Knead for five minutes. Place dough in a bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Spray top of the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Put in warm place and allow it to rise for 1 hour.

Once dough is ready, on a floured surface, make a long log. Divide into sixteen even balls. (I do this by dividing into two, then four, then eight and finally into sixteen) Flatten balls and use rolling pin to make into a flat circle. Transfer to a cooling rack, sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. They should pop up like pita bread, which makes it easier to slice. Store in air tight bag. Freeze if you won't eat it within a week.




100% Whole Wheat Biscuits

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter, unsalted, cold
1 cup milk

Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in cold butter until butter is pea size. Add milk and stir. Transfer to floured surface and knead for about a minute. Roll out with a rolling pin. Cut out biscuits. Place on baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Put a little butter or olive oil on top of each biscuit. Bake at 500 degrees for 8 minutes.

Until next time! Donna

Comments

Popular Posts