...and a new hobby!

In my last post I mentioned a chainsaw cake that I was going to attempt to make for my husband's birthday. He saw a picture of the cake on Facebook a few weeks ago. He fell in love. He said that he wanted me to make it for his birthday. I just laughed. My thought was...where would I even begin? I forgot about it. Then he kept mentioning it. He told me he would get someone to make it or better yet get his mom to make it. It was then that the mission was on. I was going to do it and it was going to be awesome! When I get determined there is nothing that will stop me. So I made the preparations and gave myself three days to put it together.


So I started by cutting out the blade in foam board (I had no idea how to make this part edible). I drew out the Stihl logo. Then I painted it.


While it was drying I baked the cakes (from a cake mix to make it a little easier) and made the Rice Krispies treats.


Once the cakes cooled I flatened the tops of the cakes with unwaxed floss and started stacking them with icing (store bought to make it easier) in between.



Next I started forming the body of the chainsaw with Rice Krispies treats. I formed it around the base of the blade to make the blade strong.


I then put icing all over the cake.


Now it was time for the hard part...fondant. I had never made it or used it before. A friend of my husband's gave me a wonderful marshmallow fondant recipe. Making it was not too complicated. I let the fondant rest for 2 hours. I dyed it with gel colors. It was hard to get the colors just right (I'm not happy with the color of the tree where the rings are...oh well). The really frustrating part of the whole cake was rolling out the fondant and getting it to the cake. I ending up rolling it out on parchment paper and transferring it to the cake. This made it much easier.





I then iced up the chainsaw and covered it with fondant.


For the handles I used another non edible object. Foam tubing and floral wire inside to make it bendable. I painted the tubing with a non toxic acrylic paint. I realized later I could have done this in fondant, oh well.


This is all I did on Monday. I wrapped it up and didn't touch it until Wednesday. On Wednesday I worked on the details. I started by making the "air vent?" section with the stihl logo. I mixed black food coloring and powder sugar for the paint.


Then I made a strip of fondant to go around the chainsaw.


Then I put the pull string on (it isn't edible) and added grass (green,yellow & red food coloring mixed in white icing).


Last I added "Happy Birthday Jason!" to the tree trunk. The lettering was black fondant. I painted everything with a brownish food coloring to give it dimension.





It took me about 8 hours. I have a new healthy respect for cake decorators. It is hard work but it was fun too.


Until next time! Donna

Comments

Popular Posts