Picky Eaters

When my first child, Clark, was born, I was determined for him to be a healthy eater. As soon as he could start eating baby food, I slowly introduced him to a variety of foods. Although he didn't like some if them, he tolerated them. That is until I introduced solid foods. Everything changed. There were only a few foods he would even try.

As the years went by, I found myself loosing the battle. I desperately wanted him to have a well balanced diet, but all he would eat was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. When I noticed his habits were rubbing off on his siblings, I knew I had to do something. One month ago we put a new rule into place. This rule has enabled monumental progress with my son. Also it has completely eliminated food waste.

Here is this rule...

I sat all four of my kids down and told them, "If you don't eat your meal, I will wrap it up and put it in the fridge. Then for your next meal, I will heat it up and give it back to you. We will repeat it as many times as necessary. I will only give you small portions. I will not repeat this rule. I will not negotiate with you." After this, I had each of them repeat the rule back to me.

We started the new rule at the next meal and we never looked back. Clark struggled the most. The first few times he went a full day without eating (he did drink plenty of fluids.) That was hard for me to watch but finally he ate his meal and actually liked it. During the first two weeks he tried many things he had never eaten before (spaghetti, BBQ, hotdogs, chicken wings, broccoli & mac & cheese.) I was so proud of him.

My main reason for implementing this new rule:

I want my kids to be grateful for what is given to them. They don't have to like it. But they do need to have a grateful heart.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

  1. You introduced chicken wings to Clark...amazing! This is a wonderful way to teach. Small portions do play a part, thank you for that reminder. I'm implementing DC's rule to our home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts