Christmas present projects

A few months ago, I saw some ideas on Pinterest that I wanted to make the kids for Christmas.

The first one was a kitchen made out of an old nightstand. I didn't have a nightstand so my plan was to look for one at a thrift store. Then I remembered that my in laws had a lot of furniture they were trying to get rid of. I found a nice sturdy nightstand that would be perfect.
This is how it looked when I got it.




So first I painted it white. Then, I removed the drawers. Next, I cut a hole for the sink. I used a 8" stainless steel dog bowl. I used Liquid Nails to glue the sink rim to the nightstand. Liquid Nails was a major tool in this project! I had a hard time finding a used faucet. But my mother-in-law's co-worker helped us out with that. She gave us one that was the perfect size. I drilled a hole for the faucet hardware to go into. I used Liquid Nails again to attach it.




My plan was to use the face of the drawer for the oven door and place hinges on the bottom. But I soon realized that the face was quite heavy. So I had an idea. I removed the molding from the face and use it. It was perfect because now there was a window in the oven door. I decided to put a plastic sheet behind it to resemble a real oven door. I put a magnetic clasp on it so that it would stay shut. I used CDs for the stove burners and I found some oven knobs at Lowe's. Next, I screwed a piece of plywood to the back of the nightstand.








I finished it up by painting the plywood with chalkboard paint, adding a shelf with hooks under it, and adding a curtain to the bottom. I hand sewed the curtain to fit (I don't have a sewing machine.) I used some material that my husband's grandmother had started cross stitching on, but she never completed. I thought that was a wonderful way to remember her. I used a tension rod to hang it. I bought some kitchen supplies at Ikea and it was complete! All ready for Christmas.




I did the whole thing myself except I got a little help from my husband to cut the plastic. I spent about $50 on supplies. Plus $25 for the kitchen items from Ikea.

For the second present, I wanted to make the kids a felt board. I purchased the felt and fabric glue for about $10 and I used a bulletin board (from my parents) to attach it to. I am going to put it on the wall in the playroom. All the items are detachable so the kids can create their own scenes.








I had such a good time making them!


Comments

Popular Posts